John W. Murphy Collection
John William Murphy was born in Avoca, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania on April 26, 1902. He attended public schools and graduated from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania in 1926. Murphy obtained his law degree and passed the bar in 1929. He first practiced law in Scranton, Pennsylvania, and was the assistant district attorney of Lackawanna County from 1934-1941. Murphy, a Democrat, was elected as the representative of Pennsylvania’s 11th congressional district for the seventy-eighth and seventy-ninth Congress (1943-1946). During 1945-1946 he served on the Joint Committee on the Investigation of the Pearl Harbor Attack. Murphy resigned from Congress in 1946 after being nominated by President Harry S. Truman to serve as judge of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania. In 1955 he became Chief Judge, a position which held until his death in Scranton, Pennsylvania, on March 28, 1962.
The collection primarily consists of a 14-volume set of galley proofs of transcripts from the hearings conducted by the Joint Committee on the Investigation of the Pearl Harbor Attack.