Hours of Operation
- Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 4:30 pm. Closed Saturday and Sunday.
- Closed Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, and November 22-24.
Scheduling a Visit
Please contact the library staff at 540-463-7103 in advance if you are planning a research visit and review the following policies and guidelines:
- Reading Room Policy
- Application for Use of Archival Material & Call List
- Personal Camera and Scanner Use (Updated January 2015)
- Photographic Reproduction Fees & Order Form
- Citation Guidelines
It is highly recommended that the forms be printed and completed prior to visiting.
Accessibility & Parking
- The George C. Marshall Research Library is accessible to the physically challenged.
- Parking and a ramped entrance are located on the west side of the building. The elevator will take you to the lobby level.
- Parking is free of charge for researchers and a parking pass will be emailed once an appointment has been scheduled.
The George C. Marshall Research Library is located in the beautiful and historic town of Lexington in Rockbridge County, Virginia. Lexington and the surrounding area offer a variety of attractions, restaurants, hotels/bed-and-breakfasts, shops and entertainment. For more information on overnight accommodations, see the Lexington Visitor’s Center website.
Directions and Map
Lexington is located at the intersection of Interstates 81 and 64. The Marshall Library is less than two miles from the intersection.
If you are traveling from the north, south, or east, follow I-81 to exit 191 (which puts you onto I-64 West). Next, take exit 55 off I- 64. At the end of the exit ramp, turn left onto Route 11 South. Proceed straight through the next 3 stoplights bearing right after crossing the Maury River bridge onto Route 11 Business. After you pass VMI, turn right onto Letcher Avenue and proceed to the VMI Parade.
If you are traveling from the west, take I-64 East to exit 55. At the end of the exit ramp, turn right on Route 11 South. Proceed straight through the next 3 stoplights bearing right after crossing the Maury River bridge onto Route 11 Business. After you pass VMI, turn right onto Letcher Avenue and proceed to the VMI Parade.
Using a GPS device? Search for the George C. Marshall Museum. The Library is in the same building.