Please join us for a special event
“An Evening in the Archives”
A behind-the-scenes look at objects you’ve never seen
A part of the George C. Marshall Legacy Series sequence on “Weapons” of War
Saturday, September 12, 2015
5:00 to 6:30 pm
Light supper to be served at 6 pm
Marshall Library Reading Room
George C. Marshall Foundation
VMI Parade, Lexington, Virginia
This special “Evening in the Archives” features objects from our Collections that have rarely or never been shown to the public. This is your chance to learn about some interesting and unique items, including:
• American E. Virgil Neal’s Fascisti Italiano Collection (Mussolini bust, pin, and Neal’s own membership card signed by Mussolini)
• Mussolini’s sword with 10th Mountain Division story
• Frank Menza’s 100th Division regimental patch blanket
• Hitler bust
• Assorted SS & Hitler Youth items
• Large Nazi rally banner
• “Jap Hunting License” pin and archive materials (Life magazine)
• Samurai sword taken from the body of a dead Japanese soldier at Guadalcanal
• Samurai sword from 1260 CE
• General Leslie Groves’ scrapbook from the Manhattan Project
You will receive a guide to the objects on display. Members of the Library and Museum staff will be available to answer questions.
Reservations required by calling Leigh McFaddin at 540-463-7103, ext. 138 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Members will be given preference; non-members will be asked to pay $20 at the door; college students, $10.
You are invited to see the special exhibition, “The Art of War,” that is on display in the Lower Gallery through September.