Please join us for a special Behind-the-Scenes event, “The Things They Carried Home”
A part of the George C. Marshall Legacy Series sequence on Taking Care of the Troops
Thursday, December 3, 2015
5:30 to 7:30 pm
Beer tasting and reception to follow
George C. Marshall Foundation
VMI Parade, Lexington, Virginia
This special behind-the-scenes event will feature objects from our collections that were carried by soldiers during war and eventually brought home.
This is your chance to learn about some interesting and unique items, including:
• Foreign currency and postage stamps
• Religious items, including an inspirational booklet created by a Roanoke mother after the death of her son at Normandy.
• Keepsakes made by native artisans
• Silk souvenir postcards from WWI
• Program and script from George Marshall’s play “At the Customs”
• Duty-related items, such as a WWI diary from a medical doctor
• Food and drink items, such as tobacco cans, Marshall’s tea canisters and D-Day Anniversary Beer
Guests will receive a guide to the objects on display. Members of the Library and Museum staff will be available to answer questions.
Representatives from veteran-owned or operated breweries will be sharing samples of their beer with guests.
Reservations required by calling Leigh McFaddin at 540-463-7103, ext. 138 or by email to email@example.com.
Members will be given preference; non-members will be asked to pay $15 at the door.